Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Great Day

It's a great day. A fresh start.

The scene at Grant Park was beautiful, at least from my vantage point (in bed watching TV).

The overwhelming majority of the crowd downtown was peaceful and happy; thankfully not in an "in-your-face" kind of way. (An aside: As the mother of two toddlers, I was surprised at how many parents seemed glad to stand outside for hours and hours, late at night, with their sleepy children in tow. Not in a million years, I say.)

The election was called early (by 10 p.m. CST) and there was no doubt about the legitimacy of the outcome. Refreshing.

And best of all, my husband and all the other police officers and public safety personnel made it home safely.

Our popular new president and his beautiful family have their work cut out for them. (Another aside: After Obama's speech last night, I couldn't help but feel really, really happy for Joe Biden and his family.)

Every one of us will need to sacrifice something to put our nation on the upswing again. I hope President Obama specifically asks us for that sacrifice and lets us know exactly how we can help. And I sincerely hope we participate, step up and take ownership of this process, knowing that it won't be easy and it may not be fun and it will probably get worse before it gets better.

But it must be done.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  November 9, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM PST  

Hi! Love the blog site! We watched the returns with 698 others at the Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam. The results came thru about 5am our time (shortly before the time Mama normally gets woken up by her son). I cried. (well partially because I'm a wimp, but mostly a huge) Sense of relief and hope like I've never experienced in an election. He has a huge task ahead of him and I'll do whatever I can to help. Yes we can!! :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP